Friday, May 14, 2010

May Monday





Got out fairly early before the rains on a May Monday. First hit Matthews Winters where I've seen some nice Orioles before. Not today. Wrens, Yellow Rumpeded, and these Chickadees chiseling out a nest in this broken off tree down by the picnic tables. I've seen this several times this spring - Chickadees making a home in a broken off small tree, maybe four feet off the ground. They tolerate humans very nicely, it seems. When I lived in the foothills a few years back, I had Mtn. Chickadees make a home in a small birdbox over my front dears several years in a row. The coming and goings of humans didn't seem to bother them at all. They always raised a sucessful brood. When they weren't there it was the Wrens, and they were always successful as well.

Drove up to Red Rocks, but didn't see much, so went down to Matthew Winters. Spotted a MacGillibvay's Warbler down along the creek, but never got a decent shot. A bright, male, American Goldfinch was singing away high up in old dead tree. Couldn't get a clean shot of him, but here he is. Noticed this female Broad-tailed Hummingbird buzzing about the little babbling stream. She posed nicely for a shot. I kept looking for the MacGillvray's, and thought I had it, but it was this Flycatcher, I think a Cordilleran.

Clouds started filling in as they have every day this week, so I headed home. Sure has been a a cool wet May. At least it will be green. I wonder if the cool weather is having an impact on nesting and bug populations.

No comments:

Post a Comment