Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Canon City












Had been reading about bird sightings along the Canon City river walk. Never been able to find close-by camping near Canon City, but heard about some camping not far from town. Location remains a secret. First spot I checked was in a hot, red rock canyon. I didn't like it, and on the way in there was this nice Rattler on the road. He didn't seem much concerned with my photo op out the car window. His tail wiggled, but didn't rattle.

Further up the road found this nice spot. Nice high desert plain, surrounded by large limestone cliffs. Green from Spring moisture. Large open grasslands, among Pinon/Juniper forest. Plenty of Cholla cactus.

Humming Bird had himself a nice little perch near my campsite. At first thought it was a Black Chinned, but upon processing the photos, I'm pretty sure it's a Broad-tailed. Never did see a female. Perhaps on a nest nearby, but I didn't see one.

Saw a Western Tanager, but only a brief glimpse.

Met this rock-climber couple from England. They were telling me how they'd been there the year before and the Hummer had been in the exact same perch. Also told me about these beautiful white flowers out on the flats that were only out in the morning. I told them I thought they were Evening Primrose. In the morning the flat was indeed covered with them.

Also in great abundance were these barrel cactus. They were everywhere! I've never seen so many in one spot.

I was tent camping. Hadn't done that in years. Always had this big tent, but since I have the camper usually take that. Camper is much nicer, but I enjoyed the tent. I'm going to do more of it. I'd been a bit worried because we'd been having some hellacious, hurrican-like wind storms. It was bit breezy, but not bad. At least my tent didn't blow over, although it did flap a lot during the night.

Got up early and headed into Canon City. On the way down the road heard a Western Tanager song, and stopped. Plenty birdy, but nothing special and only got a glimpse of the WT. Did happen to spy this black bunny. A black bunny with a white face blaze out in the middle of nowhere. How in the world did he get there? He seemed almost tame. I would have taken him home, but he liked it out there, eating some wild Alfalfa.

Lots of Penstemon blooming alongside the road. I think it's one of my fav wildflowers. I like the lavendar Aberts, but also the dark blue variety that grows in rocky road cuts.

Was anxious to get to the riverwalk. Really nice trail, right thru town. Lots of birds. Got out of the car and there were some Evening Grosbeaks eating Elm seeds. Never got a good shot. Did get a somewhat obstructed shotof this beautiful male Blackheaded Grosbeak. They are so handsome. He was singing away on his perch.

Kept smelling this really sweet blossom smell. There were lots of Locust blooming, and several Tiger Swallowtail butterflies were working on them. They know what's good. Reminded me of the Jasmine vine that grew outside my bedroom window in Memphis. Man, I could smell that at night.

If there's a train around, Bill will find it. I've ridden the Royal Gorge train a couple of times. Great trip. So, I stopped by the depot to see what was happening. Train was getting ready for a trip. Out in the parking lot there was a nice mud puddle where a flock of Cliff Swallows was busily gathering mud for nest making under the bridge over the tracks. They'd all come in together on a flurry beating winds. Kind of like hovering helicopters. Never did stop moving their wings. Must have been some good mud. They seemed very happy.

As I was waiting for the train to depart, I spotted this Starling that had found a perfect hole in a Cottonwood for a home. Starling always seem to have that greasy hair-do look.

Finally, a shot of the train leaving the depot. I love those F units and the throb of their original prime-movers. And a Mars light - swiveling headlight- to boot!

1 comment:

  1. You should change your website name to Bonds Pics. You are not limited to just birds. Nice job.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete