Saturday, May 15, 2010

Bountiful Belmar







Kountze Lake in the Lakewood Belmar area is a great briding spot. Just a small lake and preserve in the midst of Denver suburbia, but lots of birds. Just stopped by on my way to Whole Foods for my fav loaf of bread. Saw a Warbler flitting about, so thought I'd get the gear out and see what it was. Spotted a Common Yellowthroat, but couldn't get a pic. Very muddy, but it was pretty birdy, so I kept looking.

I'd been looking for a Cinnamon Teal, and there was a nice pair working thru the reeds . Also a Blue-winged Teal. Along comes this momma Wood Duck and her babies skittering along the pond. Didn't see Mr. Wood Duck. Man, baby ducks can skitter along the surface so fast, like a big bug. Amazing.

There are always lots of turtles there at Belmar in the north slough. Some of them are so brightly colored. I don't know much about turtles, but I like them.

Tons of Yellow-rumpbed Warblers, both Audubon and Mytrle. Also some Yellow Warblers. Got a shot of a Audubon's. A Yellow Warbler was in the mix, but couldn't get a clear shot.

Was about to head to the car when a pair of Snowy Egrets came in. They worked the shore for a bit before taking off to the north. I like the way the way they walk along in the mud, kind of settling each step in the mud, before settling down. At first, you think they might have some kind of nervous condition or something. I should be so careful walking in muddy terrain.

1 comment: