Monday, May 10, 2010

East White Ranch Open Space





One of my favorite place to bird in the Denver area is the East side of White Ranch Open Space. It's great riparian environment with a wide variety of birds in the spring and summer. Van Bibber Creek was running pretty full today. I've been there three times this spring and today had the most birds so far, but nothing like what I saw there last May. Maybe more migrants are on the way. I hope so. Last year I saw Chats, Catbirds, Bullock Oriole, Black Headed Grosbeak, Western Tanager, Lazuli Bunting, and more. Today it was quite windy and tough shooting. Not only hard to keep the gear steady, even though I had the heavy duty tripod, but the birds were blowing around a lot, too.

First up, was a Broadtail Hummingbird. Had two favorite perches when it wasn't climbing and diving. It was having a tough time in the wind, though. I watched a Black Headed Grosbeak pair, but never got a good shot. Same with a male Western Tanager. Did get some shots of a Yellow Rumped Warbler, the white throated variety. Also a Yellow Warbler and a male Bullocks Oriole, but they were high up and blowing around while picking bugs off tree buds.

Was hoping to see a Lazuli as I have there in the past, but no luck. Surprsingly, this afternoon in my backyard in Edgewater there were TWO male Lazuli's getting a drink at my pond waterfall. Only got a shot thru the window and it's not very clear, so I'm not posting it here.

I'll try back in another week in hopes some of the birds I saw there last May have arrived.

2 comments:

  1. How do you get such good photos of humming birds? Mine are just a blur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you've dome here Bill. Great shots.
    Congrats,
    Oscar

    ReplyDelete