Saturday, May 12, 2012

Pueblo Post

Recently spent two days camping down at Lake Pueblo State Park.  I go there a lot.  It was like summer down there.  Almost hot.  And it's only May.  Quite birdy, too.  Had a pair of canyon towhees that shared my camp.  I spilled a few pieces of pasta and they spent some time pecking away at that.  Lots of mockingbirds in the campground.  Nice song in the morning and evenings.  Lots of noisy western kingbirds, too. 


I'd walked up to get some water from a hydrant and heard an unusual call I'd never heard.  Up on a picnic table shelter was a rather large bird.  At first I thought it was a roadrunner, but turned out to be a scaled quail, a lifer for me.  Got my water and raced back to the truck for my camera.  Man those birds can really run.  There were quite a few around the campground.  A local told me Pueblo West, the neighborhood to the north of the park is loaded with scaled quail, but I'd never seen them there before.  Never did as close as I did to that one up on the shelter, but did a couple of shots. 

There was a phoebe up on the roof of the pay station.  Think it's a Say's. 

Quite a few wildflowers in bloom.  I love the yellow primrose. 








No comments:

Post a Comment