Thursday, September 30, 2010

South Park September








Took a little late summer, two night camping and fishing trip down to Eleven Mile Reservoir in South Park. Then drove over Trout Creek Pass the second night along the Arkansas. Didn't see a whole lot, and what I got was from a fair distance so not real great. Really nice sunny day, and rarely calm day at the Mile. No fish though. I paddled and paddled and fished and fished, but nothing. What a fisherman. Did see this big heard of Buffalo on the drive in. They were a bit aromatic. While out in the boat late in the afternoon I noticed this small herd of Antelope near my camp. Paddled back in, grabbed the camera and got as close as possible before I spooked them. Also saw a Bald Eagle sitting up in one the rare trees near the water. He spooked before I got within range, however. There were tons of Horned Larks out on the flats. I think this one might be a juvenile from this summers crop.

Like I said, the day was warm, but at 9,000 feet it got down to 29 the next morning at the reservoir. I woke up about 3AM with cold feet, so turned on the heat for a bit and put on another blanket. Bucket of water out on the picnic table had a good inch of ice on it when I got up. Still, there were a few Indian Paintbrush and Asters blooming.

It cost a minimum of $22 to camp in a Colorado State Park these days. That adds up, and since I wasn't catching any fish I decided to drive over the hill to the Arkansas. Looked for the Lewis's Woodpecker in the park in Buena Vista, but didn't see it. Got one of my fav spots right along the river north of town. Absolutely great spot, but not very birdy this time around . And, man there were a lot of folks out for late September, mid-week! The drive down on 285 was like I-25 here in town! And, lots of folks camping. I guess folks were taking advantage of the really warm sunny days and the fall color, although a lot of the Aspens had already lost all their leaves.

Much warmer night along the Arkansas, but kind of windy. Camper rocked most the night. Nice when I got up next morning, though a bit cooler. Dry front had come thru. Drove up a county road off Trout Creek Pass on the drive home. Found this little birdy pocket along a seep. Got this Wilson's Warbler, Chipping Sparrow, and I think a Townsend's Solitiare. Also saw a few straggling Mountain Blue Birds and heard a Western Tanager up on the hill, but never saw it.

Might head down to Bosque del Apache later in October. Just have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment