Friday, June 4, 2010

East White Ranch in Early June










East White Ranch park is such a rich riparian birding environment. It's hard to go wrong there.

I'd heard reports of a Blue Grosbeak there, so I headed out there. No joy the first day, but this morning, there it was. Just for a second or two, but I got this shot.

Even late this winter on a warm day, I saw these black and red beetles out among the rocks. They must have had babies, cause today, there were masses of these little red beetles spread among the rocks. Saw some of the black and red parents running about, too. Didn't see any birds feasting on the bounty. I don't know what these bugs are.

There are always Bullock's Orioles at this location. Loudly chattering, and working the blossoms of the shrubs.

The mewing of Catbirds is also very evident. They have quite a repertoire, that's for sure. Kind of a dull gray bird, but very interesting.

There are a ton of Spotted Towhees out there. Got this one singing it's heart out at it's regular singing post.

Quite a few Lazuli Buntings as well. This one seems to favor the same singing post. What a gorgeous shade of blue on these birds.

Yellow Breasted Chats don't seem to be as abundant as in years past, but there's no mistaking their distinctive calls.

Finally a Lesser Goldfinch. I saw both American and Lesser Goldfinches there all winter. I wonder if these are the same birds I saw int he winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment